Sunday, January 20, 2008

Mariner's Deviled Eggs

We were in the mood for a light, easy meal at suppertime Friday night, so I scrounged up a can of Campbell's won ton soup and some chopped asparagus spears. Kind of light on the animal protein, so I cast my mind about and decided "Hey! I'll just make some deviled eggs!" No problem right? We always keep boiled eggs in the 'fridge for quick easy meals. Thinking about it though, I realized that I had no idea where to begin. It couldn't be as simple as just mixing the yolks up with some mayo, could it?

Well, that wouldn't necessarily taste bad, but of course not! You have to do something else to it, or you just have a breadless boiled egg sandwich. As usual, when faced with this kind of problem, I did some research. You wouldn't think it would be difficult to find a simple recipe for deviled eggs, but you'd be wrong.

The problem isn't that they aren't there, the problem is that there are too many to sort through. If you use The Recipe Source, and type "deviled egg" into their search box, it returns two pages of links to recipes, most of them being 'way more complicated than I was up for. The simplest one listed is a recipe for 100 servings - try cutting that one down!

Anyway, after I did my research, I took a hint from here, a suggestion from there, and a technique from somewhere else, added my own spin and now the Mariner's galley has a recipé for deviled eggs. Here's what I've come up with.

Ingredients:
Eggs 4 large hard cooked
mayonaise 2 tbs
mustard 1 tsp dijon or spicy bown
dill pickle relish 1 tsp
salt to taste
pepper to taste
Directions:

Cut the eggs in half, lengthwise. Remove the yolks and place them in a small mixing bowl. Set the empty halves aside in a cool place. Add the mayonaise, mustard and relish to the bowl of egg yolks. Mix thoroughly, pulverizing the yolks and distributing the ingredients evenly throughout the filling. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Using whatever method you prefer, divide the filling up evenly among the eight empty egg halves. I use a pair of teaspoons and eyeball the amounts. Some folks like to use fancier gadgets. The filling should be somewhat mounded in each egg half. If you like, you can dress them up by dusting them with a little paprika. If you make them up more than a few minutes ahead of time, cover and chill in the 'fridge until needed. At one egg per serving (two egg-halves) this makes four servings.

Bon appétit!

Mariner

No comments:

Post a Comment