Saturday, February 27, 2016

Grandma's Liver Pudding

Anyone who ever knew much about my father, knew also that he was very fond of dishes containing liver; specifically, the sausages known as liverwurst, braunschweiger, and in particular, homemade Liver Pudding. For those who don't know, braunschweiger is just smoked liverwurst (or these days, perhaps, liverwurst to which commercial liquid smoke has been added...), but Liver Pudding is a completely different, and much simpler, thing.

I confess to having enjoyed all three, and since my own foray into sausage-making, have come to realize the truth of the old adage (paraphrased):
"There are two things that the squeamish should never observe in the making: sausages and laws..."
Anyhow; recipès for both liverwurst and braunschweiger are widely available on the Internet, but I only recently succeeded in my campaign to harass my mother into giving up the recipè the she and my Grandmother used in making homemade Liver Pudding.  I haven't tried to make it on my own, yet, but here it is:

Grandma's Liver Pudding

Fresh Pork Liver
Pig's Feet
Onion
Sage, ground
Salt
Black pepper

2 lb
1 pkg (3 or 4 per package)
1 medium sized
1 to 2 Tbs
1 tsp
to taste

Boil liver and pig's feet separately, until very tender, and de-bone. Grind the cooked meat and resulting gelatin, and the onion, together, and mix thoroughly with the remaining ingredients. Press the mixture into a bowl or other container. Refrigerate overnight, or until firm. Slice and serve as cold cut.

I've also seen slices battered and fried as a main meat dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment