Saturday, February 12, 2022

Copycat "D's sauce"

I like fish. Fried, baked, blackened, or broiled. Never had any just plain boiled or grilled. I also like some of the sauces that go with fish. One of the sauces I like comes from a certain well-known fast-food fish restaurant.

Skip to Recipe

Now, a lot of the stuff that I like to eat, I also like to make for myself, so I spend a lot of time researching and trying out recipes. Well, the researching of the sauce recipe I wanted this time was a dead-end. Lots of copycat recipes are available for their seafood dishes, but I was unable to find even one for the sauce; so I had to make one up. Here it is:

Print Recipe

Suggested Equipment:

  • Blender (your preferred type)
  • Common kitchen measures and tools
  • Container suitable for storing and dispensing sauce.

Ingredients:

  1. Some folks may prefer sweet relish. That's their choice. I find all that sugar cloying. I'll use commercial dill relish, but I prefer to make my own, using my fermented Dill Pickles.
  2. Inglehoff® or Boar's Head® works. If you can't get these, try to find something equivalent.
  3. Lots of latitude here. Choose a hot sauce you like. In this recipe, I use my own Ripe Serrano fermented Hot Sauce
Item Amount
Ketchup Tomato Tbs
Mayonnaise Prefer sugar-free; e.g.Dukes® brand 2 Tbs
Relish Dill pickle1 2 Tbs
Onion Dry, flakes 1 Tbs
Garlic Dry, granulated 1 tsp
Juice Lemon 1 tsp
Sauce Horseradish, creamy2 ½ tsp
Sauce Worcestershire ½ tsp
Sauce Pepper, hot3 ½ tsp
Cilantro Dry, ground tsp

Directions:

  1. Combine all ingredients in a blender, food processor, or salsa maker (I have used an inexpensive salsa maker from the local "big box discount" store) and blend until you achieve the texture you like. I like mine pretty smooth.

  2. Decant the sauce into a clean glass or plastic container and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before using.

Makes about ½ cup.

Use this sauce like you would use tartar sauce. I don't add any preservatives to this sauce - it only has whatever preservatives the ingredients contain - and so should be used quickly and continuously until depleted. Keep refrigerated when not in use. After one week, at most, I would discard any unused dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment